Re: [LUG] Poisoned Gnome?

On 09/08/07, Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I agree but there seems to be a serious backlash against mono/Miguel Icaza etc
> which means that a lot of FLOSS programmers are treating it/them like MSatan
> itself which may lead to a fork in gnome which is probably what MSatan wants
> but hard working honest thinking people like Icaza cant seem to 'get' -
> probably because they're too honest or naive to imagine that MSatan really
> are as despicable as the most cynical cynic from Cynic City in a cynical mood
> could imagine.

I think Miguel and the Mono guys are well aware of what they're
getting into - the technology is cool - if there are things they have
to avoid they will.

I reckon on a practical level it's mostly just the zealots that are
having a go at Miguel - he didn't choose the terms of the Novell /
Microsoft agreement, but he doesn't want to alienate Novell (who are
paying for his team to develop Mono, GNOME, etc) or the people he
works with at microsoft (i.e. programmers and designers who don't get
any input on what MS execs and lawyers do).

> While I believe that .NET and Mono could have been the best thing to happen in
> software [for those outside of the US] since Linux I am now trying to find a
> way of expressing my computing ideas in another 'language' which is proving a
> little disillusioning at the moment.

I wouldn't make technical decisions like that based on fearmongering
from either MS or the F/LOSS Zealots.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk