Re: [LUG] Exeter Hospital Radio Fun Day

Quoting Henry Bremridge <henry.bremridge@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 09:46:49PM +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>

> Should be able to make it: I am looking for clues on switching my
> partner from winxp to linux (desktop) and how to
>
> - Dual boot winxp / ubuntu

Yep, that shouldn't be a problem, we have some Ubuntu CDs.  We can
give tips although it's not specifically an install day due to it
being outside (risk of rain etc).

> - set up a webcam with link to a MS Vista laptop

I'm actually trying to work that one out myself, not had much luck so far.

> - set up wireless networking

We can have a look. :-)

> Speaking of which: any suggestions of what hardware to buy
>
> - Was thinking of PCI wifi card "sweex" (suggested by Neil S)
Can't comment on a PCI Wirless card personally as I haven't tried one.
  I guess going for one that someone else has got working is a good
idea.

> - Any suggestions of webcam?

Hmmm, this is a tricky one and a bit hit and miss.  The Sony
Playstation Eyetoy cameras work (I got mine for a tenner from Comet).
I also think the low res cheapo PC World camera (it has 300 in the
model number) works, although I couldn't get the VGA resolution camera
working.

> What time would like people to appear?

It starts at 11am I think, so around 11am would be great.

Rob