Re: [LUG] vlp torrent server - auauargh mission creep!

Tom Potts wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 August 2007 19:17, Bill wrote:
>> The mini-itx solution is a good one for someone who might want to expand
>> beyond just using the always on machine to receive torrents.
>>
>> There is enough power in even the fanless mini-itx to do great tv
>> capture via a win-pvr ( mpeg2 hardware encoder ) capture devices and
>> playback simultaneously. You have audio out for podcast playback to say
>> your hi-fi. It is even ok as a secondary desktop pc, which can be useful
>> if you use IMAP for email and need to check your inbox quickly without
>> starting up your main pc.
>>
>> And if you want to go crazy, get a Nokia n770 or n800 as a remote control!
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> p.s. If power/cooling is a major concern, get a laptop drive.
> Thanks for all you help everyone.
> Suffering from serious mission creep here. I've only got 512k ADSL so off web
> storage is a no-no for anything useful.
> I do like the idea of one of these here mini-ITX  - probably Via cpu and maybe
> with a TV card and .....
> The really hard bit seems to be finding a case that is 'low profile'
> stylewise!!
> Tom te tom te tom

The MiniITX.com store has some nice cases, seem a bit steep in price
though.  I guess that's because MiniITX isn't as widely sold as ATX?

I'm sure I read somewhere that you can get MiniITX boards that will take
the AMD AM2 and Intel S775 chips too.  Just imagine, dual core (and even
maybe quad core) processing in a small tiny box :-)

Rob