Re: [LUG] Debian Lenny Exim4 update problem

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 11:25:13AM +0100, Neil Stone wrote:

> > Given exim is the default on debian, for my continued education what
> > programs do others use for sending email?
> >

> MTA or MUA ??

MTA

http://lwn.net/Articles/196724/

Exim is the default under debian but given that this is for a single user desktop
machine and that reading the documentation package gives me a headache, I would
prefer to have a simpler program. The question is which?

In looking in the debian packages I see the following MTAs

- Sendmail. This seems to be in use a lot but also there appear to be security
problems with it?

- Postfix. Ditto

both of these (along with exim) seem designed for mail servers.

- ssmtp A secure, effective and simple way of getting mail off a system to your mail
hub.
- Smail Smail is a mail transport agent (MTA)
- msmtp  msmtp is an SMTP client that ... forwards mails to an SMTP server
http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/

All of these seem much simpler: in googling about mta's there seem to be strong
opinions on sendmail vs postfix vs qmail vs exim but not really about the smaller
packages..

--
Henry
Thu Aug  2 14:56:06 BST 2007