Re: [LUG] ISP's again.

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:46:18 +0100
Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Tom,

> I thought most of them used BT provided stuff at wholesale prices  -
> ie they can go and put their own gear in but BT have (to have) deals

Sorry, yes.  I overstated matters;  They *can* put their own stuff in.
Whether they do or not.....

> I say in theory - my local ISP is ITSOS and we had a lot of line
> problems. We got to the call out stage  - where BT would have turned
> up at my house and checked the line from here [theres nothing wrong

We reported a fault (audio), and despite the person at BT being able to
hear the noise, we got a "no fault found" report.  All their flash gear
can't always detect the fault.  Especially when, like ours, it was
intermittent.  It turned out to be the cable breaking down in the pole
mounted junction box.  Aluminium 'phone cable is crap, IMO.
Thankfully, the BT engineer agreed with me and replaced it with copper.

> cancelled the callout. But I could just be paranoid as I worked for
> BT.

:-))

With such a large organisation, it's almost inevitable things go amiss
sometimes.  I mean, the person you speak to to report the fault might
as well be on a different planet.

> I've always found that if there is contention everyone get squeezed
> no matter who you are with. Though nowadays that seems to be more

Well yes, obviously.  I wasn't trying to say it was a per customer
issue, although I can see how it could be read that way.

> down to the source host than the network - ie its the site your
> downloading from thats putting on the squeeze and not the ISP. No

Sometimes, yes.  If a (very small) provider has capacity for 10
customers doing 5mbps d/ls, and they actually have 20 customers trying
to do massive d/s all at once, then the ISPs hardware will get swamped,
irrespective of who's trying to d/l what, from where.

> their connection is being squeezed when its the site their
> downloading from. Tom te tom te tom

Very true.  There are sites I know not to visit at certain times,
because they'll be deluged with people then.  One site I visit is
updated once a week, same day, same time.  Accessing it can be
painfully slow just after that's happened.  Wait 16 hours, and
everything's fine.  I don't need to see all that new content right off
the bat anyway.  After all, it's going to be there for a whole
week!   :-)

--
 Regards  _

A friend of a friend he got beaten