Re: [LUG] ISP's again.

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:02:14 +0100
Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Tom,

> I thought all adsl (wot comes down your phone line) is basically BT

You've forgotten about LLU set-ups.

LLU (Local loop unlocked) means that your supplier is putting their own
equipment in the exchange.  Usually, this is cheaper than the stuff BT
would use, and less reliable.  Consequently, more equipment failures,
line drops, etc.

When it comes to load, some providers skimp on the amount of equipment
required, hoping that most of the time, not many of their customers are
on-line at any given time, and those that are, are just downloading
email.  as a result, you can be in a situation whereby you've got a 7MB
connection, but due to contention (fighting for bandwidth with other
customers) issues, you only get what amounts to a 500k connection.
Better (read; more expensive) suppliers have far greater capacity to
cope with the demand their customers may make.

Personally, I get my internet services from UKFSN.  Not only are they
Linux savvy, they support free software development.  They're an
Entanet reseller, and Enta, AFAICT, like to keep plenty of bandwidth
available.  Last month, they had another 155MB of capacity brought
online, and in August, another 620MB central pipe will be brought into
service.

UKFSN do a series of ADSL packages, starting from £14.99 a month.
Please note, I have no connection with either Enta, or UKFSN.  I'm just
a (more than) happy customer.

--
 Regards  _

You're a sidewalk cipher speaking prionic jive
Give You Nothing - Bad Religion