Re: [LUG] Which Distro?!

Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know many people consider this to be a personal choice, but I'd like
> to hear people's opinions!
>
> I'm setting up a system for a family friend, and decided to use Ubuntu
> as it's reputation for "just working" is very strong. Unfortunately,
> the wireless connection seemed a bit sketchy on it (atheros chip,
> madwifi), so I thought rather than play around with it, I would try
> openSUSE 10.2.
>
> The wifi works brilliantly on openSUSE, and I love the system as a
> whole - amazingly well polished (+ slab is brilliant :D), but almost
> immediately after I was running it for the first time it slowed up
> massively. Applications now take an age to load, but once loaded are
> quite snappy. I've tried all sorts to fix this, as I loved the
> distribution so much, but no luck :(
>
> Usually I use Fedora, but I'm reluctant to put this on as lately I've
> been disappointed with a few updates having regressions, and after
> using openSUSE, the lack of polish!
>
> So, recommendations for a distro along the lines of openSUSE? i.e.
> works out of the box, no fuss, and is very well presented? I think I'm
> going to switch my own systems at some point too.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jon
>
> p.s. no flame war intended! :p

Maybe it's worth having a loook at PCLinuxOS?  I haven't used it much
myself although it seems to be a fairly popular alternative to Ubuntu.
IIRC it's based on Mandriva.

What is the problem with the Wifi?  There was a discussion about issues
with Madwifi on Ubuntu 7.04 on the Ubuntu-UK mailing list.  I think the
solution so far is to wait for Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (is that 7.10?).

Rob