Re: [LUG] ISP's again.

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 17:15:16 +0100
Dave Foxcroft <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Neil Williams wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > because TeleWest/Eurobell/VirginMedia/whoever they are this week
> > consider mylocality of Plymouth to be beyond-the-pale,
> </snip>
>
> How come you can't get cable in Plymouth? I used to do business
> installs and fibre work for them (Telewest/NTL...)and Plymouth is
> well serviced.

?? "Service" is less than 75% of the population - even within the
"official" city limits. There are areas within 1km of the old TeleWest
HQ that have no cable supply.

It's the same story with BT. I have to drive passed the exchange every
single day and I know the distance (by road) to be 1.3 miles - it would
be even less in a straight line. So why is my telephone cable length
5.3 miles? BT don't care about this locality and neither do cable
companies. I'm lucky to get any telephone connection - yet I'm within
the city limits. I can see houses that have cable and 8Mb broadband but
I have no cable and <1Mb broadband. Nothing has changed in ten years -
this despite a BT technical engineer living next door.

--

Neil Williams