Re: [LUG] ISP's again.

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 00:10:47 +0100
Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Neil Stone wrote:
> > what's wrong with Virgin out of interest ?

I've just had a promo from Sky - free broadband with Sky TV. Now the
faster speeds involve a monthly charge but 2Mb is, apparently, free and
as that is all I can get from the cowboys called BT and because
TeleWest/Eurobell/VirginMedia/whoever they are this week consider my
locality of Plymouth to be beyond-the-pale, I already have SkyTV and I
can't go cable. BT line rental is still payable but I'd still be saving
what I currently pay Eclipse each month.

So, if Sky claim to offer a seamless transfer to free broadband, is it
too good to be true? I mean, it's not as if I'm getting 2Mb now - the
most I appear to be able to get is something a bit better than the old
ISDN. Sustained apt downloads never exceed 60kB/s and my router
currently claims DSL Speed: 448/2400kbps - I should be able to get
something over 200kB/s but I'd say my average is closer to 40. Besides,
a lot of my work involves uploading, so download speeds aren't
particularly helpful.

http://www.testmy.net/speedtest/dual_load.php
:.. testmy.net test results ..:::
Download Connection is:: 602 Kbps about 0.6 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)
Download Speed is:: 73 kB/s
Upload Connection is:: 320 Kbps about 0.3 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 39 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net (Main)
Test Time:: 2007/07/29 - 6:42pm
D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-PZ4UD2FQR
U-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-2PIMRKV43
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en; rv:1.8.1.5) Gecko/20070712
(Debian-1.8.1.5-1) Epiphany/2.18 [!]

--

Neil Williams