Re: [LUG] Small Magazine

> Neil Stone wrote:
>> I seem to recall that Scribus is in repos fairly globally and
>> universally...
>>
>> Right tool for the job is whats needed.. Why people insert a jpeg image
>> in
>> a word file and send it that way i'll never know.. just send the .jpg
>> file
>> damnit.. </rant>
> Heh.. reminds me of a customer I once had... back when 14.4 modems were
> current.  He couldn't send a Word doc so I asked him how big it was.
>
> Cmr:  8 pages
> Me:  No in Kilobytes
> (explains how to browse to it)
> Cmr: It's only 8 pages with one picture per page
> Me: *lightbulb* 'pictures??' OK how big is it in Kilobytes?
> Cmr: 32xxx [I don't recall the exact figure :)]
> Me:  32 *thousand* K?
> Cmr:  Yes why won't it send it's only 8 pages!
> Me: *head->desk moment*  Your computer doesn't *work* in pages.....
> *explanation of how it DOES work ensues with slightly caustic comment
> that perhaps it would be faster to post the document than email it*
>
> Ended up pointing out that the recipient probably didn't have a 32
> Megabyte mailbox anyway so it would a) bounce b) kill the recipient's
> mailbox c) annoy a lot of people.

I get similar now.. we have a maximum message size of 10mb.. including
headers etc.. so many people whine about not being able to email their
20Mb report to their line manager.. who sits next to them.. and is
connected to the same file server.. via gigabit ethernet..

Oh.. our email server is in bristol, on the other end of a 2mbit fibre...