Re: [LUG] yes!!! Ubuntu Feisty installed on notebook

Matthew

On Sun, 2007-07-15 at 14:48 +0100, Matthew Fairtlough wrote:
I had a bit of a negative rant about Ubuntu recently and I've not been
able to install it on my desktop/laptop yet.

But I've got it up and running on my notebook (a fujitsu lifebook) and
it's great, especially apt-get.

What impressed me most was the live repartitioning of my windows disk
which seemed to work faultlessly.  I backed up my most important stuff
but it would have taken me days to reinstall all the software I've put
on the notebook if things had gone wrong.  I took a deep breath and
prayed it would all be fine and so it seems to be. I am planning to add
a /home partition and move /home there as not enough disk space was
reclaimed on install.

I got network access (not sure if I like the keyring stuff though;
involves typing a password whenever I want to connect to the wlan; also
no documentation that I can find on keyring) right away and connecting a
network printer via samba was easy (now to find the printer that didn't
appear...).  But compared to a few years ago when I had to manually
install sambe and then wade through the manuals and still never got
networking to work properly, this is a dream.

Got to disable the touch pad because it is hopeless for a touch typist;
the slightest touch on the pad while I'm typing and the cursor jumps
around and inserts whatever I'm typing where it feels like...

If you Right click on the Volume control near the clock
you select Preferences and choose which the slider controls!

Sound is a bit wierd (I'm using the default ALSA stuff); radio stations
just stop playing under rhythmbox and the thing crashed after a while.
Also the speaker volume control on the menu bar thinks it should control
the headphone socket rather than the built-in speakers even when there
are no headphones plugged in which isn't so useful.

So I'm one happy linux bunny now.
thanks to anyone for listening,
Matthew.

--