Re: [LUG] CSS driving me nuts

On Friday 13 July 2007 10:09, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> The specific question is probably a bit off topic.
>
> I have spent ages fighting CSS on a site I have ended up taking over.
> In fact I have mentioned it before and had some great help with the
> SQL and the php. Anyway I have jammed it all in a CMS system now and
> its working well but I have hit *the* CSS problem.
>
> Site looks great in Firefox, and not to bad in IE7 and IE6 some small
> font differences and spacing but its acceptable. IE5 is a horror
> though.
>
> I've got the main pages validated on w3c/org for XHTML and CSS (still
> issues on some of the generated pages of lists etc  but thats WIP)
>
> Should I care about IE5? As its really old and very broken should i
> just ignore this problem. At the end of the day I need to maintain a
> professional image for the site its not my homebrew hobby site. Any
> idea how to fix the menu spacing for IE5?
 do the other pages look bad in IE5? While there is no
 particular reason to support IE5 I often wonder about
 the usability of 3 column pages. It doesn't look too
 bad at 800*600 but I always believe that you should
 ask yourself "Does my web page have a right or need to
 completely take over someones monitor?". The answer is
 generally a big NO.
 Take the 'forthcoming seminars' page - you can squeeze
 that up to 1/2 the width of a 1024*768 screen and then
 have your calendar squeezed into the other half and
 cut and paste the details into your calender without
 lots of window hunting or ctrl-tab keying. Now that to
 me is a useful, helpful friendly page.
 Try it and then go back to the home page. Its fallen
 apart.
 Now ask yourself if you want your web site to look
 flash or be useful.
Tom te tom te tom