Re: [LUG] Computing for Profit: Thurs 26th July Totnes

Rob Beard wrote:
> Mark Cross wrote:
>
>> Hi - I know the title will fury a few people here - but it got you reading!
>> Please forward appropriate releases as your think fit.
>>
>> Fork 1(techie release)
>>
>> ### STARTS ###
>>
>> Open Source?
>> Free Software?
>> Want to know more?
>>
>> Mark Cross, the South West Area Open Source Consortium Representative
>> has organised "Computing for Profit", which is being held in Totnes on
>> Thursday 26th of July.
>>
>> "Computing for Profit" is hoping to highlight the dependence of
>> computers on electricity, and to look at ways of improving energy usage
>> from not only the Open Source side of the fence, but also from the
>> Microsoft Windows platform perspective (closed source).
>>
>> Therefore, it is very much open to all. So if you are interested in Open
>> Source eg the Linux platform, please do attend. If you feel your
>> business cannot evaluate Open Source, you are still very welcome, as we
>> will also discuss Windows virtualisation products, which are going to
>> help reduce power consumption greatly. So the event is to provide an
>> educational evening - irrespective of whether you use Microsoft Windows
>> or Open Source. Macintosh advocates are extremely welcome, the meeting
>> will not be about theological computer matters!
>>
>> The main confirmed guest speaker for the evening is Rick Timmis CEO of
>> the Open Source Consortium.
>>
>> This event will be held at the Seven Stars Hotel, Totnes. Starting off
>> at 5pm on Thursday 26th of July. The main feature will begin at 7.30pm,
>> those attending at 5pm will be able to discuss individual ICT issues
>> with a panel of experts who are freely giving their time.
>> All are welcome, whether as an individuals interested in the carbon
>> footprint issues facing everyone one of us, or the small to medium
>> enterprise looking to reducing costs as well as being more
>> environmentally friendly without any additional IT expenditure!
>>
>> If you are interested in attending or receiving the presentations notes
>> from the event because you cannot come please phone Mark Cross on 078
>> 551 291 42
>>
>> ### ENDS ###
>>
>> Fork 2 (media release)
>>
>> ##############################
>>
>> Computing for Profit
>>
>> How to utilize computing in your business to reduce cost and increase
>> profit.
>>
>> A group of significant industry leaders will deliver analysis lectures
>> and open forum sessions to discuss how rationalisation and intelligent
>> implementation of IT systems and services can be leveraged to increase
>> business profitability and create direct positive effects that benefit
>> our ecology and environment.
>>
>> Current concerns on the climate impact of computing technology is a hot
>> topic, and the latest round of software and systems are likely to
>> increase power requirements and thus carbon foot print. Taking a broad
> [...]
Rob,

That would be stunning, the BCS did me proud circulating it to near 900
of the members!

Could people in this group possibly let me know if they are planning to
attend?
I may even get tempted to try to lay on some food...

Many thanks,

Mark

078 551 291 42