Re: [LUG] Computer Shopper: Sept 07 (Issue 235)

On Thursday 12 July 2007 13:22, Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I subscribe to it that's why the date is early.  On the DVD coverdisk is
> Ubuntu 7.04 and in the mag itself is a guide to creating MySQL
> databases.  Among lots of other things :)
>
> I like CS as they're not slaves to Microsoft - one of the few non-Linux
> specific magazines to push open source.  They've been praising T'bird
> and Firefox for months :)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

I too like Computer Shopper and I've bought it since issue 1, but I've just
cancelled my subscription. After running 95% Linux for the last year I find
that it hasn't got enough relevant info, so it's Linux Format for me now.  CS
could do a lot more on Linux apps in it's excellent "how to" pages, but it is
mostly "How to format a document in Word" or "how to do x functions in
Excel".  I also find their Linux pages getting into the more complex areas of
system management which is surely the wrong thing for this magazines
readership. More of tempting MS users to try it would be better IMHO. Charlie
Stross had a better grasp of what is required.

I will be buying it now and then though for it's excellent hardware reviews,
and a quick fix of Zygote.

Come to think of it, I should maybe be writing this to CS to tell them why
I've decamped.

George