Re: [LUG] Kubuntu 7.04 Woes

On Tuesday 10 July 2007 15:41, John Hansen wrote:

> Jonathan,
>
> Thanks for your helpful comments.
>
> The Windows programmes which I need to use are:
>
> TaxCalc
>
> Fairshares (by Updata)
>
> Autoroute
>
> Quicken
>
> The options for Quicken are Gnucash,Grisbi, Kmymoney, Moneydance and
> maybe others. These options
> are no doubt excellent but do not allow me readily to transfer my
> Quicken files.
> For TaxCalc I have not found an alternative nor have I for Fairshares
> that monitor our share portfolio.
>
> John

If you really need to run those programs, then the only real answer is to
continue to use Windows in some form or another John. As you have tried the
alternatives and they were unable to import the files, then running Windows -
or perhaps trying them under Wine - are the best choices. I would, if
possible, either run a seperate box with Windows for those applications or
run Windows inside a virtual machine - VMWare Server or VirtualBox perhaps -
which allow you to run Windows within a seperate window at the same time as
your Kubuntu. The VMs allow you to do everything you would do inside your
Windows environment - add/remove programs, browse the web, collect mails etc
etc and you can change between the Linux and Windows environments instantly
without any rebooting. The only downside is lack of 3d acceleration - but for
productivity programs such as Quicken - that is not a problem.
Wine, whilst a great project, is not 100% successful with all applications -
the ones you mention I am not familiar with (I use it for games mostly).
As far as VMs are concerned, there are a wide range available. The easiest to
use are the VMWare Server and VirtualBox mentioned, but others include Bochs
and Qemu.

Mark