Re: [LUG] Samba is signing up for GPL v3

Neil Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:30:19 +0100
> Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> It looks like anything from Samba 3.2.x onwards will be under GPL3.
>
> This also means that all packages linking against Samba libraries will
> need to move to GPL3. GPL3 applications can use GPL2 libraries but GPL2
> applications cannot use GPL3 libraries.
>
>> With Samba now being a pretty big part of linking Linux machines to
>> Windows and vice versa, does this mean it's going to leave distros
>> such as Novell SUSE out in the cold, or would they have to fork the
>> Samba code from 3.0.x and maintain their own version of Samba?
>
> A fork is always possible but the fork would have to be under the GPLv2
> (probably without the "or later" phrase) so the changes have to be
> public and can be reimplemented under GPL3.

Reimplemented meaning not using same code?  Like a clean room reverse
engineer so to speak, or would they just have to implement the feature
(assuming it isn't covered by any M$ patents)?

>> Presumably Novell can't use anything licenced under GPL v3 for future
>> distro releases because of their link with Microsoft? (or am I
>> completely wrong here?).
>
> The Microvell agreement is legal under GPLv2 and a clause in GPLv3
> blocks all future agreements of this kind but it is dated so that only
> agreements made AFTER Microvell are prohibited. It is difficult to make
> such rulings retrospective - it invites a legal challenge because it
> is usually seen as unfair. No matter what anyone thinks about MS and
> Novell behaviour, the decisions of the free software community must be
> fair and seen to be fair.
>
> However, any change to the Microvell agreement, any extension, any
> backtracking, would be prohibited if it involved GPLv3 software. The
> deal is frozen.

Ahh I see.  So I guess M$ and Novell are trying to be very careful not
to slip up then.

Rob