[LUG] Possible venues to spread the word

Hi folks,

I've been thinking of possible other venues where we can spread the word
on Linux.  On the Ubuntu-UK mailing list there is a guy (the same guy
who helping create the Ubuntu leaflets) who spends some of his free time
going to computer fairs and talking CDs along and talking about Ubuntu.

Now as far as I'm aware there aren't any computer fairs locally, at
least not in Torbay/Exeter.  From what I remember about computer fairs
that I visited in Derby & Norwich is that the local computer user groups
would often be there giving out leaflets and signing new members up (I
think this was a subscription based group too!).

I was thinking, what is there that is near to a computer fair which is
going to get a lot of people visiting?

A car boot sale for one, and also places like Sunday markets.

I was thinking maybe this is something we should be looking into?  I'm
not sure about the legalities of going to one (or the costs) but I
thought it could be worth trying taking along some CDs and again selling
them for maybe 50p to £1 each (or even giving a few away) and also
handing out leaflets.

I'd say on a good day the car boot sales I visit must get a few hundred
visitors at a time and I wouldn't be surprised if a fair few of them had
a computer of some kind.

The other venue I was thinking of the upcoming Royal Devon & Exeter
Hospital Radio Fun Day (I think it's in August).  Paul one of the
Hospital Radio members is going over to Linux (as I work with him and go
on about Linux so much).  I'll have to ask him if we could get a stand
maybe (in return for buying a few books of raffle tickets).

Rob