Re: [LUG] Remote Login

peter wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 19:31 +0100, Ben Goodger wrote:
>

>> Applications > System Tools > New Login
>
> Hi Ben
>
> Thanks for that, I find I have have that option on my Debian computer,
> but not on my Ubuntu machine. Perhaps it is hidden away somewhere else
> on Ubuntu?
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter

I believe you can do this with VNC and login from another machine and
get a whole usable desktop.

What I do however sometimes is from one machine, SSH into another
machine and forward X over to the machine I'm on...

For instance, if I'm on my laptop and I want to open something on my
Desktop PC I would do...

ssh -X rob@desktoppc

At the shell prompt I would then run the application, such as firefox
and it would appear on my laptop (assuming it wasn't already running on
my desktop in which case it would throw up an error about Firefox
already running - which I assume is a Firefox issue).

Also you might want to look at FreeNX (link here:
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/freenx.htm )

FreeNX is a bit like VNC where you can get a remote desktop so you can
have multiple users login to one machine, one being a local user and
another remotely.  It works really well over a network connection and
also a broadband link.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Rob