Re: [LUG] Secure web browsing with live distro

On Wednesday 04 July 2007 09:42, george wrote:
> A lot of negativity here guys.
>
> How many people on this list still use IE?  If you run Windows, IE, etc.
> then security is a nightmare.  I know that you can never be 100% secure but
> you sure as hell can make it difficult for the bad guys when it counts.  I
> do all my money laundering on-line and I want that as private as possible.
> A distro on cd is an awkward way to go but it's better than people getting
> into your bank account.  And if you're a Windows user then it could be a
> godsend.  I know lots of people have had this idea before but I'll bet none
> of them were Windows only users.
>
> And what is this about losing your bookmarks on a power cut, Tom?  They are
> burned onto a CD.  Or on the USB module. Or you could have them on Google.
How can the live distro burn its bookmarks onto the CD - kinda defeats the
object  as well? I change my bookmarks 'daily'.
A live distro approach is fine in an 'internet cafe' approach but once you
allow people to 'save' things then it becomes insecure again - good system
management can alleviate the problems but never eliminate them.
Computers will only be safe as long as you keep humans away from them, let
homo missmanagmentum near them and you will have security problems as they
will always prefer 'ease of use' (shorttermism) over security.
Tom te tom te tom