Re: [LUG] artists and GNU/Linux: Falmouth College

Dear all

I had an interesting day with my friend at FC. It has been years since I
saw him, so it was personal refresher as well as a foray into the work
of individuals in FC.

He has a funded project at http://www.ecoloqo.net/ which he has hosted
outside the College to maintain control himself, which he talked about
in a seminar attended by MSc students with me as guest!! The IT Services
run MS servers and regularly interrogate computers and invite staff to
save in the black hole called My Documents. He and his colleagues want
control themselves and keep out of the system as much as possible and
want more freedom. There seems to be a culture we have explored before
that skills are using the latest MS or Mac functional buttons.
Apparently staff are being invited to training in Vista.

Anyway, there is also a research group using LAMP, somehow within the MS
system, apparently tolerated to some degree. I will go and see them
soon.

There are stations with CS3 installed for staff to use in the IT unit,
though I have not seen them. We kept well away.

Students use pirated software, which might provide a little leverage. I
imagine that publicity for FLOSS on Windows might attract staff and
students over to these programmes but the step to Linux would be
somewhat harder unless the arguments about security prevailed. It might
well appeal to some. Interesting, few staff seem to be seriously
computer literate and at the other end of the scale, some students are
immensely skilled.

I wonder if Students' Unions might be the best route into
Universities???? Ground floor entry (basement?).

He will talk more to staff and think what the next step is. Meanwhile he
has a list of relevant programmes and links. And a promise to buy Linux
Format July with Ubuntu 7.04 Live DVD.

I'll be in touch regarding future developments. If the door opens I hope
someone here with appropriate expertise would take over.

james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk