Re: [LUG] artists and GNU/Linux: Falmouth College

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 16:59 +0100, Aaron Trevena wrote:

> Inkscape, gimp?

I have installed Inkscape, Scribus, Blender, Kino on my laptop, and I
was already using GIMP in Kubuntu. Are there any other strong programmes
that artists (including video) might use. All but Kino are available for
Windows and I think Mac which would allow my friend and his colleagues
to try them out without a Linux base. It would be nice to show a good
one that only works with Linux to my friend on Tuesday. I haven't used
wine yet but need to try soon.

This is quite apart from the free OS and programmes students might use
for dissertations coursework and the like.

Interesting I met someone the other day who earns a living programming
who has gone back to Windows from Ubuntu 6.06 because he uses scanners a
lot and got fed up of trying to get his to work! Next time I see him
I'll ask what scanner he was using and maybe suggest he writes the
driver for it if it does not exist - possibly too late though.

Anyone else game to turn up on Tuesday in Falmouth to help start a
discussion off? If not, I'll do my best to find out how the land lies
and what they might be interested in for themselves and their students.
At least if they would accept ODF for paperwork, they'd have to install
OOo on Windows or Mac(?) which is their preferred OS.

james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk