From: list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Anton Channing
Sent: 15 June 2007 20:37
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] DCWUG? - GCUG

Paul Sutton wrote:
>> I agree, it might be a good idea.  Or how about even a general Devon &
>> Cornwall Computer User Group?
>>

> Sounds a better plan,  in fact it may work in our favour, when it comes
> to organising face to face meetings,  as asking about venue hire for a
> computer user group is far easier than for a Lug as it means no one has
> to try and explain what Linux is,    There is no reason why a meeting
> can't involve lug members,  or even organise bigger events under the
> banner of Computer user group,  but include talks on Linux / OSS related
> issues.
>
> Regarding who we aim it at, if we just aim at business it alienates
> those who have no real experience of the business world (I am more
> education / use for fun),   There are many sectors out there,
> education,  health,  science that could benefit.
>
> Paul

I agree with the term Computer Users Group.  The word
general is redundant and counter productive though so
just CUG would be enough.

Since there are so many windows users though, the potential
for the forum to become VERY large is quite real.  So
we should probably pre-empt the problem with a ready made
escape plan.  When a certain locale gains enough members
in its own right to run its own CUG, it should.  I've left
that vague enough I hope.  But this will help prevent any
one CUG becoming flooded with so many posts no-one can
read them.

Anyway, it would probably be slow to start with so that's
just me anticipating a potential long term problem.

I like the idea of it being multi-platform as I think
it would have greater potential for spreading floss
and even gnu/linux than the GLUG has.  Simply through
exposure and example if not by evangelising.  (I'm not
a fan of evangelising).

After all, promoting FLOSS here is almost preaching to
the converted.  This is more of a community and support
forum, which is great.

Count me in.  I'd join.  Since after all I have two
OS's already and depending on how I get on with
Cinelerra I might even end up with three...

Anton