Re: [LUG] DCWUG?

Rob Beard wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
>
>> Ruairi Fullam wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> At the risk of being burned on the cross I was wondering whether it was
>>> feasible for a mailing list to be setup for non-Linux users - I
>>> personally am platform agnostic and due to the nature of my work have no
>>> alternative in some cases but to support Windows based infrastructures.
>>>
>>> I was considering for some time setting up a mailing list for
>>> Windows/Mac etc types, but wanted to see if anyone here may be interested.
>>>
>>> Politics aside, I think our shared knowledge may benefit us all while we
>>> are still lumbered with the beast.
>>>
>>> Ruairi
>>>

>> It may be useful,  for perhaps getting windows to talk to Linux from the
>> windows side (or even windows to windows),  perhaps even discuss how to
>> get OSS software working under Windows such as openoffice.org.  So
>> things that would be off topic for a Linux user group.  would be welcome
>> there.
>>
>> However there are not that many people offering free windows tech
>> support,  there are plenty of people offering support for money,  where
>> as the free software community is  just that,  a community dedicated to
>> helping each other and freely,  which sets us a part.   You need to
>> perhaps be careful that your not going to get inundated with
>>
>> I have a virus
>> I have spyware,  how do I get rid of them
>>
>> and the classic
>>
>> Windows is not working,  or I tried to install Windows 97,  when they
>> mean word 97,
>>
>> that aside I agree it would be a useful resource.  esp given the rural
>> nature of Devon and Cornwall it could be useful for some communities out
>> there, to be able to discuss issues.
>>
>> Paul (grabbing flame proof suit for protection from being flamed)
>>

> I agree, it might be a good idea.  Or how about even a general Devon &
> Cornwall Computer User Group?
>
> As you say though, most support seems to be paid for (or support from an
> 'expert' friend who has possibly had a PC for 12 months and reads lots
> of computer magazines so is instantly an expert!).
>
> I'd be happy to advocate about things like using OOo, Inkscape, Scribus,
> The Gimp, Audacity etc on Windows as I reguarly use these at work.
> They're especially useful if someone wants to do a poster or something
> (which they would normally fork out for a Publisher licence for), or
> something which I occasionally do for myself - audio editing.  Working
> in a radio station we have professional editing software but its not
> something I have sitting on my desktop PC and considering my knowledge
> of such applications Audacity is more than enough for my needs.
>
> Rob
I'm glad there are so many positive and rational responses. Personally
I'm very busy for about two weeks but can certainly help set up
something after that. DCCUG could be a good idea - I was wondering
however, should we restrict it to business computing or all users? It's
a fair point, it's probably not good to open the gates to the hoards of
Packard Bell users with no Anti-Virus.

I've always liked the idea of a computer club. Every time I hear about
the Homebrew Computer Club back in the late 70's, I always wish there
was such an outlet for people these days, even if we're all online.

By all means also I wouldn't want to alienate the DCLUG either. I would
just like to invite the more platform agnostic of us to make a
foundation for all computer support and discussion (and yes, there are
other free as in freedom operating systems!).

Ruairi