Re: [LUG] Noisy power fan

Mark Jose wrote:
> Like Julian, I would simply replace the PSU. You can get them pretty cheaply,
> but, if you can run to it, the better (read - more expensive) models are much
> quieter in most cases and also provide a more steady and reliable voltage.

Mine is a Casecom from Ebuyer 2 fan model, 550W - £15+PnP

Nice and quiet, but you're right about reliability.  the £40+ models
will give you the *rated* power constantly, but the cheaper ones will
quote the *peak* performance.

Having said that my old PSU (which wasn't duff after all) was almost the
same model, cost me a bit less and has lasted well over a year and I now
have as a spare.

My Enermax however cost me over £60 and bit the bullet about a year
later.  One thing I will say for it though is that it had 3 fans, and
the capacitor let the fans carry on a minute or so after the system shut
down - important for letting components cool gradually. [OK for the
mathematicians that's two things ;)]

Henry if you're able to get one locally try to get your hands on it
first... lighter ones have much smaller capacitors.  Heavier is better.

YMMV.

Julian