Re: [LUG] Dedicated Linux servers

On Thursday 07 June 2007 12:48, Martijn wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm looking for a provider that offers dedicated Linux* hosting (i.e
> where you rent a server and get full access to it, while they take
> care of the hardware). Does anyone have some experience? It doesn't
> have to be in the South West (actually, it's for work, which is based
> in Oxon). There are lots of providers offering this these days, but
> prices differ a lot and, I am afraid, quality too. For obvious
> reasons, I'd like to go for a provider who know what they're doing,
> who have a good connection and will be able to help problems fast.

Bytemark (bytemark.co.uk) seem to be very popular. As/when I can justify
having a virtual machine to handle my e-mail and web serving, I'll be going
with them.

> * The Linux here is partly to make it on-topic: I would think that a
> good provider would offer any OS you like, as long as you pay for it.
> But well, since I'd like to put RHEL on it, it would be an advantage
> if a host would offer this as one of its defaults.

Bytemark will supply RHEL, but you'll be paying extra for the RHN
subscription. You should also consider Centos, which is identical to and
fully compatible with RHEL but won't cost you any extra money.

Regards,
David.

--
David Johnson