Re: [LUG] Scanners that work

christopher.berry1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Posted by "Berry Christopher" <christopher.berry1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> Does anyone out there know of a brand new, off the shelf scanner that will work in
> Ubuntu - I have spent days trying to get my Epson 2480 to work but failed - I've
> followed many 'threads of advice' from several forums, but to no avail! In my
> defence, it is listed as difficult!!
> Ubuntu state that any 'new scanner' will probably run automatically on connection
> - so does any kind soul know of a here and now scanner that will do this?
> Yours ingratitude,
> Grandad Berry.
> --
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Generated by the contributors page
> in the members area at D+C GLUG
> http://www.dcglug.org.uk/members/list.php
> webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'd avoid the PC Line scanners that PC World sell for about £30 (I think
Currys do them too).  They seem to be loosely based on the Mustek
scanners but with a different firmware.  Unless you're willing to do
lots of playing around then you might be worth looking at
http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdevcat.php?id=10

In fact, I'm sure I read in Linux Format that they are going to do a
hardware roundup of what works (although since it's late, I could be
just getting confused).

Maybe one day when computer magazines review hardware they will check
the hardware for compatibility on Linux.

Rob