Re: [LUG] courses and specific list

james kilty wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 11:34 +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:
>

>> Everyone on this list is interested in Linux and related issues
>> not everyone may be interested in lessons etc
>> we can attract people to this new list who have an interest in teaching,
>> but may not want to be sent mails regardng the technical issues of OSS,
>>
> I am unsure about your reasoning other than the two potential groups
> which will inevitably overlap MAY not be interested in the two classes
> of post (subjects). To my mind teaching about GNU/Linux means keeping on
> top of beginner, improver and expert issues so as to be able to help
> students. And keeping up to date with what is happening on the course
> front might entice list members out to support courses - being present
> in practical sessions and able to chip in on discussion or even to lead
> specific topics.
>
> I have contacted a friend with a strong computing interest (he was early
> into digital video editing) at Falmouth College and await an invitation
> to start a process off. After an introduction, I hope members with more
> knowledge and interest would be prepared to come down to show the
> details of software and how it can be used. After that, there would
> surely be potential for staff development workshops and maybe even
> student training events.
>
> I have also contacted my local Adult Education Centre and copied in the
> Chief Officer at CCC Headquarters about a beginners course in Linux at
> Helston and if there is further interest, elsewhere in the county - even
> at Launceston for those who find Cornwall's length a bit daunting! If
> there is interest, it would be essential to have someone more expert
> than I leading as distinct from pioneering an event and supporting the
> lead teacher. I have suggested it is a right to know issue and an EU and
> even UK Government priority to support Open Standards. (I found the link
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20050330133833843#A4 immensely
> helpful following on from
> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/odf_ooxml_technical_white_paper?
>

>> out of this new user base, perhaps find people who can actually help
>> with venues,  equipment etc etc
>>

> Is not now the time to be thinking about a seminar for IT managers in
> Business/Industry about the benefits and costs of a staged movement into
> GNU/Linux? Perhaps targeting different sectors with different needs (as
> options in the day/part-day).
>
> What are the free alternatives to openicdl? I am working through Rute,
> which is nice. I have seen other tutorials but my filing is poor. A list
> of tutorial web pages would be good to explore. My personal interest is
> beginners, as that's me.
>
> james kilty
> http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk

 I see your point and yes there would be quite a bit of overlap,  but
having a specific list would allow discussions to be focused, as I said
we can post updates / questions to the main lug,   and report back,  it
just saves people subscribing to the lug,  when their main interest is
doing courses.  I am looking at the lists complementing each other.

Just an idea,  it may also make it easier to manage related e-mails.
Well done so far though what you said here looks promising, lets hope
something can be arranged.

Paul

--
Events

Linuxbierwanderung - Torbay Mini Linux Beer Hike
28th / 29th July 2007
http://www.linuxbierwanderung.org/
Follow torbay mini LBW link.

http://www.openoffice.org