Re: [LUG] courses and specific list

On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 11:34 +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:

> Everyone on this list is interested in Linux and related issues
> not everyone may be interested in lessons etc
> we can attract people to this new list who have an interest in teaching,
> but may not want to be sent mails regardng the technical issues of OSS,
I am unsure about your reasoning other than the two potential groups
which will inevitably overlap MAY not be interested in the two classes
of post (subjects). To my mind teaching about GNU/Linux means keeping on
top of beginner, improver and expert issues so as to be able to help
students. And keeping up to date with what is happening on the course
front might entice list members out to support courses - being present
in practical sessions and able to chip in on discussion or even to lead
specific topics.

I have contacted a friend with a strong computing interest (he was early
into digital video editing) at Falmouth College and await an invitation
to start a process off. After an introduction, I hope members with more
knowledge and interest would be prepared to come down to show the
details of software and how it can be used. After that, there would
surely be potential for staff development workshops and maybe even
student training events.

I have also contacted my local Adult Education Centre and copied in the
Chief Officer at CCC Headquarters about a beginners course in Linux at
Helston and if there is further interest, elsewhere in the county - even
at Launceston for those who find Cornwall's length a bit daunting! If
there is interest, it would be essential to have someone more expert
than I leading as distinct from pioneering an event and supporting the
lead teacher. I have suggested it is a right to know issue and an EU and
even UK Government priority to support Open Standards. (I found the link
http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20050330133833843#A4 immensely
helpful following on from
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/odf_ooxml_technical_white_paper?

> out of this new user base, perhaps find people who can actually help
> with venues,  equipment etc etc

Is not now the time to be thinking about a seminar for IT managers in
Business/Industry about the benefits and costs of a staged movement into
GNU/Linux? Perhaps targeting different sectors with different needs (as
options in the day/part-day).

What are the free alternatives to openicdl? I am working through Rute,
which is nice. I have seen other tutorials but my filing is poor. A list
of tutorial web pages would be good to explore. My personal interest is
beginners, as that's me.

james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk