Re: [LUG] OT: Wind Turbines [WAS: Data Centres]

On Wednesday 30 May 2007 13:45, Simon Waters wrote:
> > Whether man made co2 is an issue or not, I find it amazing that this is
> > the only greenhouse gas on which our great leaders are focussed - there
> > are many others - but they are probably less emotive
>
> Our political leaders are focused on methane, it is just the press that
> has a CO2 only attitude. However I think persuading the Orient to stop
> growing rice, or the West to stop eating beef, if going to be more
> challenging than the benefits produced by taxing aviation fuel.
I believe air travel provides 2% of predicted global warming.
Agriculture 20%.
I think Davids comments about small scale are all too true:
Rice paddies used to produce fish as well as rice and some other vegetables
too. The fish helped reduce methane, the other vegetables produced vitamin A.
Industrialisation of the process results in the use of herbicides that kill
the other vegetables and the  fish to produce a clean crop.
Now 80 years later the 'food scientists' are congratulating themselves on
producing a 'golden rice' with a precursor of vitamin A in an attempt to
reduce blindness caused by ... see above.
Cows produce a lot more methane these days as they are eating imbalanced diets
to accelerate growth - you try eating a high protein vegetable diet and try
not to produce methane.
Tom te tom te tom