Re: [LUG] Data centres - money mouth etc

On Monday 28 May 2007 00:06, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> Simon Waters wrote:
> > As such I think a "carbon neutral" data centre wants to be located
> > somewhere with a plentiful supply of (reliable) green electricity, and I
> > think Devon is out, unless they build the Severn tidal barrier.
>
> Hinckley Point doesn't generate carbon dioxide...

Erm... isn't Hinkley Point in Somerset?  But so is the Severn! As for its
pollution point, well, I think I prefer carbon dioxide to what that contains!
Wave power is a good green power source I should suspect. Living on the North
Cornish Coast as a boy and watching the constant swell crashing onto the
rocks, I believe that is a serious contender. Shame that so far it has been
very much ignored.

> > I doubt
> > Wind farms will hack it, although I guess if it were big enough, and
> > sold electricity to the grid when it had surplus....

Wind farms are good - but seem to hit a lot of opposition. Living not too far
from one, I can honestly say that I have no objection to them. If they
decided to turn the field behind me into a wind farm, I would have no
problem. On the other hand, if they decided to open a nuclear station, I
would move.

Mark (who was campaigning against nuclear power in the 1970's)