Re: [LUG] Even careful IE users are vulnerable

On Sat, 26 May 2007 18:48:48 +0100
Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Neil Williams wrote:
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/25/strange_spoofing_technique/
> PayPal, Ebay etc address me by my name in emails - a phisher doesn't
> know it so can't do that.

This attack doesn't rely on phishing - it intercepts a VALID request
for the site within the vulnerable browser. You type www.paypal.com and
the malware injects HTML into the VALID paypal site code that changes
the POST URL of the forms within the page and adds entry fields for
information that the genuine paypal site never requires. The malware
simply sits in memory and raids all communication between IE and the
site - checks for the URL and remaps whatever it feels it can handle.
Update or upgrade the malware and *any* site can be remapped. There is
nothing the site can do to protect the user, there is nothing the user
can do to prevent the attack once the malware is installed - it cannot
currently be detected.

It's a new form of man-in-the-middle.

It is possible that the malware itself (a .dll) is installed via an
<iframe> or similar "hidden content" method which has been known to be
operated from GENUINE sites by compromising the server that provides
the adverts. This allows the attacker to spread the malware via ALL
genuine servers that use those ads without the hassle of compromising
those servers directly. Another reason to use adblock - but even if
adblock was available for IE7 it might not be enough.

You can avoid all the phishing attacks you like, you will not be
protected from this attack if you are using IE7.

For once, there doesn't have to be any email involvement for the attack
to succeed. It appears to be specific to IE7 - current security tools
cannot prevent infection, cannot detect infection and therefore cannot
remove the malware - once infected you might as well have a keylogger
installed, the attacker can read whatever data can be handled by the
HTML injector code, it is all sent to him by email. Theoretically, any
site security can be utterly bypassed and without the source code for
the malware, you cannot reliably determine WHICH sites can be handled
by the injector. Yes, if the injector makes obvious changes to the page
you may be able to spot it but with a little optimisation, the injected
code could be made to be completely invisible. You would have to read
*and validate* the site source code to ensure that the POST arguments
are correct.

The quickest way of doing that is to have some way of comparing the
HTML available to Firefox with the HTML produced for IE but with
varying levels of "browser-detection" junk Javascript in sites, that
may not be reliable.

I'm not sure if the padlock is even reliable in this scenario - it
depends how IE handles the padlock issue. I'm not sure, but I doubt
that the padlock process attempts to validate the incoming HTML data
stream against some md5sum sent from the site - it authenticates the
connection, not the data.

The problem here is simple:
MyMoney.com -> HTTPS -> Internet -> HTTPS -> IE render engine.
The malware is likely to be injecting code ^^^^ here - AFTER HTTPS has
authenticated the connection.

By compromising the data stream AFTER the data has been handed from
TCP/IP to the internal Windows/IE codebase, protocols that validate
TCP/IP connections are useless when trying to detect the effects of the
malware.

It's reason enough never to use IE7 for ANY site.

> Never click any links unless the sender has authenticated themselves.

Good advice but it won't protect IE7 users from this attack.

--

Neil Williams