[LUG] Even careful IE users are vulnerable

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/25/strange_spoofing_technique/

A Reg reader has produced screen shots that demonstrate a powerful
phishing technique that's able to spoof eBay, PayPal and other top web
destinations without triggering antiphishing filters in IE 7 or Norton
360. Plenty of other PayPal users are experiencing the same ruse,
according to search engine results.

It would appear the scam method isn't limited to PayPal, either. Hall
has supplied screen shots of something very similar happening when he
used IE to log on to his online account at HSBC, and he says he also
experiences variations on that theme when trying to access accounts on
Barclays and eBay.

"There is some malicious infection on my machine regarding IE 7, which
Symantec hasn't worked out and Microsoft hasn't either," Hall surmises.

A Symantec spokeswoman says company researchers are looking in to the
matter. We left messages for representatives of eBay and Microsoft late
on Thursday, but had not heard back at the time of writing.

Based on our description, Roger Thompson, who tracks web exploits for
Exploit Prevention Labs, guesses those experiencing this attack have
inadvertently installed an html injector. That means the victims'
browsers are, in fact, visiting the PayPal website or other intended
URL, but that a dll file that attaches itself to IE is managing to read
and modify the html while in transit.

i.e. this is a security breach in IE7 - the address bar shows the
correct URL (unlike most phishing attacks which send you to
http://fdgse4.ga/?get=www.paypal.com etc. and which could work with
any browser if you don't check the link carefully) because this attack
happens between the genuine website and the browser. The HTML sent by
www.paypal.com|uk is modified before it reaches the HTML parser,
changing the address for all those forms, sending your identification
data to the attacker. Nasty.

--

Neil Williams