Re: [LUG] Browser based drawing/flowchart/networking diagram package!

On Thursday 17 May 2007 12:12, Mark Jose wrote:
> On Thursday 17 May 2007 11:32, Tom Potts wrote:
> > http://www.cumulatelabs.com/draw/draw.html?release=0.4.7
> >
> > As far as I can tell we have almost all of office available as browser
> > based packages!
> > Tom te tom te tom
>
> Well, I had a quick look -
>
> 1 Doesn't work (at all?) properly in Konqueror.No side bars appeared - just
I think its only FF/IE at the moment.
> 2 Needs Javascript enabled to work in Firefox. Javascript is a security
> risk.
Only on unknown sites! If you've got crooks inhouse it don't matter what
language your using!

> I still fail to understand the push from Google and Microsoft, as well as
> others, to introduce web based office apps. Firstly, the poor quality of
> broadband (or worse, dial up) in many areas of the UK and indeed the USA,
> make this kind of thing virtually unusable. Secondly, would I want my data
> stored on someone elses servers?
This is where a lot of people go 'wrong' on web stuff.
Imagine you travel the world and you have all your data on your laptop.
Your laptop gets nicked - all your data is gone, your whole office security is
at risk.
Now if you have a web accessible 'office' that you can securely access over
the web, then the chances are you can work from anywhere in the world.
The 'office' package can also be loaded onto a laptop and then synchronised
with the central server when connections allow.

As for bandwidth - a decent web app may take a little time to load but since
your working locally there should be little working bandwidth.

> The only possible good thing I can see with these Web 2.0 type things
> (apart from competition to Microsoft monopolies) is the slight possibility
> that they may force governments to actually do something about poor
> connection speeds- but I doubt it.
>
> Mark (stuck on 512k adsl, with no prospect of better speeds on the horizon)
I'm on 512k but I wouldn't call it stuck - the only reason I might need more
is because people encrypt 3 or 4 k of text data in 300k word documents,
or massive flash and pp presentations where a page of html would do!
And as for 'funny' things on youtube.......
Tom te tom te tom