Re: [LUG] Browser based drawing/flowchart/networking diagram package!

On Thursday 17 May 2007 11:32, Tom Potts wrote:
> http://www.cumulatelabs.com/draw/draw.html?release=0.4.7
>
> As far as I can tell we have almost all of office available as browser
> based packages!
> Tom te tom te tom

Well, I had a quick look -

1 Doesn't work (at all?) properly in Konqueror.No side bars appeared - just
2 Needs Javascript enabled to work in Firefox. Javascript is a security risk.

I still fail to understand the push from Google and Microsoft, as well as
others, to introduce web based office apps. Firstly, the poor quality of
broadband (or worse, dial up) in many areas of the UK and indeed the USA,
make this kind of thing virtually unusable. Secondly, would I want my data
stored on someone elses servers?
The only possible good thing I can see with these Web 2.0 type things (apart
from competition to Microsoft monopolies) is the slight possibility that they
may force governments to actually do something about poor connection speeds-
but I doubt it.

Mark (stuck on 512k adsl, with no prospect of better speeds on the horizon)