Re: [LUG] open source education anyone?

On Thursday 17 May 2007 11:24, Tom Potts wrote:
> http://www.curriki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome
>
> Tom te tom te tom

Some interesting "partners" there - Sun Microsystems,the UN,the UK's DfES etc
The site is a little vague I felt with regard to what it actually offers.
After a few minutes of wandering around, I spotted the resources link. Being a
governor at a local school, and having an interest in science, I clicked the
resources link and went to look at their science stuff.
Various resources there - but, sadly, many (nearly all) are in Microsoft
Word .doc format.
I suppose this is to cater for teachers/educationalists who only have access
to Microsoft riddled machines, but I am a little surprised that the .docs
were not also available in other formats. Yes, we know that OOo can
open .docs, but it is reinforcing the idea that any document must be in the
MS Office format.
Even more annoying was the discovery that files which are indicated as "bin"
(binary) files seem to all be .ppt files - the Microsoft Powerpoint
presentations.

As they used to write on my school reports - could do better!

Mark