Re: [LUG] Linux Drawing Tablet

Just had a quick squint at Dabs, A5 tablets start at 150 quid.
Having used a few tablets over my time the extra money spent on Wacom
is well spent, unless there's a new kid on the block I've not heard
of.

Try to check the accuracy & dpi on the models you look at and get high
dpi + accuracy wherever possible - i'd choose this over tilt sensing
any day.

Lastly, read up on connection interface & drivers.   Pointless buying
a pad with no linux support if Linux is on the PC it'll be attached
to.

Tablets do take a little getting used to - you'll be used to picking
up the mouse near the edges of your drawing area and putting it in the
middle to get a little extra "table", doing this  on a tablet will
just move your cursor to the centre.  Once you get used to it, you'll
find it invaluable - things like vector drawing over a hand-drawn
sketch (placed under the clear flap on the tablet if yours has one)
are sweet.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for with these babies - if
you just want to try one out for the hell of it, then get a cheaper
one if you can find drivers, but if you're serious about artwork and
you're going to use it a lot, then save up the cash and invest in a
good one, you'll not regret it.

BTW, I just checked ebay, looks like a few bargains there!