Re: [LUG] brctl & startup

Simon Williams wrote:

>> I don't know which of these are absolutely required, and which I did out
>> of misguided sticking to the manual, but they seem logical enough steps.
>
> You don't need to give eth0 and eth1 ip addresses- just bring them up.

I do that on eth0 so if it messes up between ifup and running the bridge
script it has an IP address I can login to fix things.

I vaguely recall there was a reason for assigning an IP to eth1 at the
time. Although that reason might have been as trivial as "so I can ping
it to make sure it works", in which case it probably should have gone.

> I recently setup a bridge for my system at uni. Arch Linux has
> /etc/conf.d/bridges which I just add them to- the bridge commands are
> all part of the general network scripts.

Nice.

Although the script was written for Redhat version mumble, so the need
for it isn't necessarily a reflection on the state of RHEL or FC tools...