Re: [LUG] brctl & startup

Terry Hill wrote:

> Thing is, if I type the above manually, all works fine.  If I use it
> in a script, which I link to the relevant rc.d it run the script at
> startup but hangs when it adds the first eth to the bridge.  Bear in
> mind i've killed all relevant (conflicting) bits like dhcp etc. from
> the startup.

The Debian way would be to do it via /etc/network/interfaces, as then it
happens when it should - much safer. Just add the options as "up" or
"post-up" lines to the end of the eth0 section.

My Redhat box has a script like...

brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 eth1

ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0
ifconfig br0 ip.ad.re.ss netmask 255.255.255.0

if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/static-routes ]; then
  grep "^any" /etc/sysconfig/static-routes | while read ignore args ; do
              /sbin/route add -$args
  done
fi

Where eth0 starts with the same IP address br0 ends up with. eth1 starts
with a meaningless address (10.0.0.2).

The key points being I give the bridge interface the same IP address as
eth0 had, and I add the static routes again, as they were applied to the
eth0 or eth1 interface, which will no longer work in my config.

I don't know which of these are absolutely required, and which I did out
of misguided sticking to the manual, but they seem logical enough steps.

 Simon