Re: [LUG] Programs which start on login

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Sat, 12 May 2007 17:22:56 +0100
> Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>
>>> The programs I particularly do not want running at every login are
>>> apache and mysql. Can anyone remind me please, how to stop a program
>>> from starting up at login?
>>>
>> Usually Apache and MySQL start at boot, not at login.
>>
>> Typically you remove the links from the current run level directory...
>>
>> Find runlevel with "runlevel" command.
>>
>> # runlevel
>> N 3
>>
>> ~# ls /etc/rc3.d
>> K11anacron            S20bittorrent         S20ssh           S89anacron
>> README                S20cupsys             S20stunnel4      S89atd
>> S10sysklogd           S20dbus               S20sysstat       S89cron
>>
> Perhaps it would be better for me to simply stop the programs in a
> terminal screen. I know how shutdown mysql. Apache is the problem.
> Until yesterday I didn't even know it was running all the time.
>
> How do I stop apache please, that is the equivalent of mysqladmin
> shutdown?
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil Winchurst

if you're running a debian based system, like Ubuntu, then to stop
Apache from being started when you boot, type the following commands:

/etc/init.d/apache2 stop
update-rc.d -f apache2 remove

you will need root permission, so put 'sudo' at the beginning of the
commands

This command will remove all of the symlinks in the /etc/rc*.d folders
that point to /etc/init.d/apache2 which is the script used to start
Apache at boot-up. If you want to get apache to start at boot-up again,
simple run the command as root:

update-rc.d apache2 defaults

This command will add the symlinks back into the /etc/rc*.d folders used
to start and stop apache at different run levels

Andy