Re: [LUG] 'All In One' compatible printers ?

Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Hey I've got a Brother DCP-340CW which was about £50 and I've got that
> working with Ubuntu over a wireless network.

Brother's DCP range gets my vote- especially the 340CW which has a very
useful document feeder. Also, they have ink tanks not cartridges, so
filling them is very easy and much cheaper. I've got one at home and one
at uni- superb items.

> Set up wasn't perfect but there's a great thread on the ubuntu forums
> (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=105703&highlight=brother+mfc)
> which even has a script which worked on one of my systems but not the
> other; the manual instructions worked just fine.

Should just work with Debian. My gripe is that it doesn't need brother's
own package- the driver should be added to the CUPS tree. Also, their
packages are silly- they use csh, and they just have scripts which echo
scripts to the right places. I've been meaning to fix the mess and
submit it to cups for a long time, but haven't had chance.

> Never tried to scan with it or anything like that, think it might be a
> bit slow over the wireless network!

I don't find it a huge problem, and my laptop has the most appalling
wireless reception in the world. Scanning works well with xsane, and is
fairly easy to set up. Again, should just work with Debian.

I can help with any problems.

Simon