Re: [LUG] Checking on jobs

On 5/7/07, Mark Jose <kernowyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 07 May 2007 08:51, Robin Menneer wrote:

> > Thanks for the info which is totally beyond me but I understand  where
> > you are and I appreciate the explanation.  A million miles from my
> > pedestrian use of Open Office, but OOo does hang up on me on times.
> > Robin

OK, if the problem is with Open Office hanging, then a good way to see if you
can discover the problem would be to open OOo from a command line call. That
way, it will open as usual, but feedback will be given in the command line.
Try -

Open your console program and type in

ooffice -writer
and press enter.

 Thank you.  I put oofice -writer into terminal which started OOo.  I typed in a sentence in a new writer file, then went back to terminal but found nothing there apart from the usual cursor.  As this hangup only happens very occasionally and unpredictably I don't want to go to terminal every time I open OOo.  If it's too much trouble, I'd rather live with it.  Mystified.

As the call there uses writer as an example, it will call the OOo writing
program. Now, you can use it as normal, but, if it falls over, the terminal
will have some clues (hopefully) as to why it crashed.
You may or may not be able to discover the problem from the errors reported in
the terminal - they can be fairly cryptic at times! But somebody may well be
able to spot the issue.
There are more technical ways of discovering bugs - gdb for example is
useful - but they tend to be fairly complicated for the normal user.
I would give the method above a go and see if it picks up anything of note in
the first place.

Cheers,
Mark