Re: [LUG] Checking on jobs

On 5/6/07, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 6 May 2007 20:45:28 +0100
"Robin Menneer" <robinmenneer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > You could also use System Monitor in Gnome and I think KDE has
> > something similar. The problem with a GUI monitor is that if the
> > process you want to kill is actually taking all the CPU time and/or
> > memory, then loading a GUI to kill the process isn't exactly helping
> > the CPU! One reason to always keep a terminal window open, I guess.
> >
> This is the first time I've heard about keeping a terminal window open.  I
> can imagine that this could be quite useful with unexplained hang ups but
> what are the real reasons and

Because I always need a terminal to build packages and generally do
what I do. Typical usage also includes logging into a remote server and
tweaking the files or processes over SSH. Yes, you can tunnel an X
session over SSH but then the server isn't running X and it's just too
much of an unnecessary faff to sort out - plus it would slow things
down. So it's terminal:SSH:vi.

Generally, a terminal window is the first window I open upon login and
the last one to be closed. Usually, I have one terminal window open on
each workspace and each window usually has 4-10 tabs open at a time.

The only GUI programs that I use every single day are:
1. gedit
2. deb-gview
3. galeon
4. sylpheed

Others, say weekly, are anjuta, gnucash and evince.

Almost everything else I ever do with any of my systems is done via the
terminal windows that litter each workspace.

> how is it done ?

Applications|Accessories|Terminal

Just leave the window open and get to it with the taskbar.

Despite the protests of some, you will never get the most from your
GNU/Linux system without also learning the command line, IMHO. But then
that's a never ending flamewar that I really don't want to start up
again.

Other never ending flamewars:
Vi vs emacs
Gnome vs KDE
distro1 vs distro2

These things keep the free software flamers burning the world over.
They don't do any harm - nobody loses because everyone gets the choice
to pick the wrong one. ;-)

Thanks for the info which is totally beyond me but I understand  where you are and I appreciate the explanation.  A million miles from my pedestrian use of Open Office, but OOo does hang up on me on times.  Robin

Neil Williams