Re: [LUG] HTML and tabs

Thanks, Ben, for pointing out www.totalvalidator.com (TV).

It looks a useful alternative to validator.w3.org but doesn't appear to
check CSS, which w3c's service can do.

A nice feature is that when the HTML is /bad/, TV prettyprints the text
interspersed with its error-findings.  This chopped efficiently through
some thickets produced by Nightmareweaver!  On further thought I suppose
it is merely an application of htmltidy, which I have on my own machine
anyway.

W3C allow you to install their validator on your machine.  I found that a
bit complicated, but that it was enough to fetch the appropriate DTD, and
use it with nsgmls (which I had anyway).  As I sometimes update dozens of
pages at once, that breaks a tight bottleneck.  Even for single files it
saves a lot of time.

IIRC, W3C say there is /no/ mechanical test that shows that a page
satisfies Web Accessibility Initiative at any of the three levels, so
while I believe TV's tests must be useful, I wonder whether they can be
sufficient.

regards
John
--