Re: [LUG] Ubuntu Debian

On Sunday 06 May 2007 14:38, peter wrote:
> Hi
>
> I run both Ubuntu and Debian.  I am having some minor problems with the
> ubuntu upgrade on my lappy.  The good news is the Tablet Pen now just
> works, the bad news is the Wireless Network does not, and I so far have
> got no where.  (Looking at the Ubuntu forums I do not appear to be the
> only one who has lost their wireless on upgrade!)
>
> I was thinking of loading Debian on my Lappy, but is there any point?  I
> thought (think) that Ubuntu is based on Debian, so if ubuntu is not
> working, Debian will not either.
>
> Thanking you in advance
>
> Peter

First thing - do you use encryption on the wireless?  If you do, what type -
wep, wpa ?
If possible, can you try just setting your router or whatever to use an
unencrypted connection type. Then see if you can access with wireless. If
that works, then the issue is with your encryption setup on your Ubuntu
machine. WEP is generally easy, WPA more problematic.
Which version of Ubuntu? I assume it is 7.04? Do you have another method of
connection to the web/usbkey etc which will allow you to download? If so,
take a look at -
http://www.debianadmin.com/enable-wpa-wireless-access-point-in-ubuntu-linux.html

which will hopefully sort you out if you use wpa.

Mark