Re: [LUG] Ubuntu and Dell could be illegal in the US

On Sat, 05 May 2007 12:07:48 +0100
james kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-05-05 at 11:42 +0100, Simon Robert wrote:
>
> > Does this mean that e-books can never be property? Does software
> > only become property if the code has been printed in a book?
>
> The use of the term property muddles the whole thing up.

I disagree - it is "Intellectual Property" that is the non-existent
concept.

> If we use the
> term we sign up to "Intellectual Property"

By being absolutely clear on what property means, it becomes obvious
that "IP" cannot exist.

> and the muddle some
> Americans seem to be forcing on the world for their advantage so they
> can apply rules from one sector to another, hypnotising people into
> agreement when they haven't examined the assumptions and core
> concepts in each of the
> (3) main zones.

Agreed - IP is a nonsense term that has no logical basis. Always
separate copyright, DMCA, patents from each other and from any concept
that revolves around physical property like theft, piracy and ownership.

> Books/literature/created works are covered by copyright. If a
> book/printed work is stolen then yes it was property stolen and has
> value as such. So if someone steals my daughter's Harry Potter books,
> it is the value of the printed books I attempt to recover. I never
> had any rights, nor does the thief, over the actual work itself. If
> they absorb some of it into a supposedly new work, they are guilty of
> plagiarism.

Yes, publishing a story about Lenny Crocker going from platform 2.75
could end up with a copyright offence. Publishing Harry Potter without
changes but also without permission is also a copyright offence.

--

Neil Williams