Re: [LUG] Debain Software Raid Question

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 23:00:24 +0100, dave morgan
<morgad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 19:59:45 +0100, Simon Waters
><simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>dave morgan wrote:
>>>
>>> I am putting together a replacement for my current
>>> webserver+workstation, and have managed to end up with one IDE
>>> disk, and one SATA one (both 250Gbyte).
>>>
>>> Can I still use these to install Debian v4 with the disks
>>> configured as (software) RAID-1 ? And can I then use LVM on top
>>> of this to handle the filesystem?
>>
>>Yes, Yes.
>>
>>http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/512
>
>Thanks Simon,
>let's see if I can do the install on this machine "properly",
>rather than the bodges I have used on previous machines :-)
>
>Dave

Well, I think I managed it :-) but I did not touch the command
line at all. What I did was (roughly) like this -

boot Debian installer in gui-expert mode (I could not find any
way to setup raid in non-expert mode)

partition the two disks identically with small partition for
/boot, and rest for lvm

set up the two pairs of partitions as md0 (/boot), md1 (lvm) from
the raid setup menu

set up lvm in the md1 area with swap and root areas.

I then setup up md0 as /boot. I wasted ages here trying to set up
format and mount point for /boot before I had done the root
partition. And every time I left the set up the other partitions
it forgot about the boot one :-/

format the partitions, install Debian packages, and let grub
setup the boot sector

it seems that this magically sets up the boot sector on both
disks :-) so when I turned off booting from the 1st disk in the
Bios and let it boot from the second it still worked (raid is
still good)

I am now downloading 70Gb of data from the old to new machine (at
3Mb/sec) and things are looking good at the moment. But I have
still to set up Apache or Samba on the new machine yet.

best regards
Dave