Re: [LUG] Dead HD?

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:58:15 +0100, "Jonathan Roberts"
<jonathan.roberts.uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>'ello again,
>
>I've got a hard drive here that I think is *almost* finished. When the
>computer boots you can here it trying to spin, kind of like a car
>engine struggling to turn over, but the system fails to detect it. Any
>other possible cause and are there fixes that would get significantly
>more life out of it?
>
>It is pretty old now, an old 10gb drive, must be about 10 years old!
>
>Cheers,
>
>Jon

I think you are right, the drive sounds finished. But for the
people searching the archive in the future, I have just purchased
a 2nd (or 3rd) hand machine where the 20Gb drive was totally
unreadable. I went out and bought a new 250Gb replacement, and
when I went to fit it I found the HD cable had been squashed
against a ty-wrap on one of the PSU cables, and this has punched
a hole through one of the HD cable wires :-/

This machine also had a memory chip not fitted properly, I am not
going back to that shop again (at least not on a Saturday)

best regards
Dave
--
http://www.morgad.no-ip.info/index.html    gpg:0x64B5E037