Re: [LUG] Kubuntu Problem

On Tuesday 17 April 2007 11:45, john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Posted by "John Hansen" <john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> I have Kubuntu 6.06 installed and am without success attempting to install
> 3 programmes:
>
> 1.Gnucash
>
> 2.KMyMoney or perhaps KMyMoney2
>
> 3.Wine
>
> I have tried using Adept manager but although I have succeeded in
> installing Firefox and Thunderbird the above programmes elude me. Is there
> another way to install these programmes?
> Simple advice most welcome
>

> John (Bude)

The only one I can offer comment on is Wine I am afraid.
As Peter mentions, it doesn't put an entry on the menu for you, although it
may well do so for a program once you have installed a program using it!
To check it installed correctly, use the Konsole (under System on the menu)
and type in

wine --version

then press enter. It should give you something like -

mark@mark-laptop:~$ wine --version
wine-0.9.33

which, in my case, shows the version to be 0.9.33

To run a Windows .exe file, you have two options. One is to click it - it may
possibly open under wine or it may give you the open with dialog box. If you
get that (or indeed if you right click the .exe file and choose Open with)
you can simply type wine into the box and it should launch.

I personally prefer to use the Konsole to run a Windows .exe under wine.
Mainly because you get feedback whilst it is starting up, but also because it
will show you any error which is preventing a program from running.

Mark