Re: [LUG] Win98 to be retired - can we take advantage

Kai Hendry wrote:

> You can't run a operating system without security support.

Sure you can.  Depending on the circumstances, it may even be
perfectly safe to do so.  I'd be uncomfortable about connecting
such a machine to the internet or giving people I didn't trust
uncontrolled access though.

Only last week I installed a machine from an original WinXP
install CD which I didn't patch.  It'll quite possibly be in
use for several years just the way it is.  I do have complete
control of physical access and it isn't connected to a network
however.

I know of a few places where they have stand-alone hardware in
locked rooms for running (for example) accounting systems, too.
They're not desperately worried about security updates.  I imagine
there must be plenty of others.

James