Re: [LUG] Win98 to be retired - can we take advantage

On 2007-04-13T19:22+0100 Julian Hall wrote:
> All that will happen is that anyone with a support contract with
> Microsoft (and let's be honest who in their right mind would?) will
> simply obtain the support elsewhere, and Microsoft will lose that
> revenue.  Business will *not* put an untested bugridden OS on their
> systems.  'They already HAVE!' I hear you cry .. 'Windows of any
> flavour'.. true, but at least what they have currently works.

You can't run a operating system without security support. I don't think
a 3rd party can provide adequate security support for Win98/XP without
access to the source code.

> Linux I feel *can* grab this market but two things have to happen.
> a)  Businesses have to be convinced of the support structure available
> for their hardware *and* software.
> b)  Anything bespoke needs to be tried and tested with WINE, or ported
> across to Linux.
> b) involves expense and it is up to the Linux community to prove to
> businesses that the expense will be recouped within a reasonable time.

Most business applications are moving or will move to Web applications.
Not necessarily "linux".

The fact is Microsoft has already long lost. So relax. :)

There is no point trying to convince people to use the Linux desktop.
Get them using Firefox. It's a lot easier.